5/22/2013

May 22, 1963 The Beatles & Roy Orbison at The Gaumont Theatre





Today in Beatles History on May 22, 1963 the Beatles appeared on a bill with Roy Orbison at the Gaumont Theatre, Ipswich, England. Roy Orbison had been brought in initially as star billing earlier that year, but quickly was replaced by The Beatles meteoric growing popularity. The Beatles' debut album "Please Please Me" had been released not long before and was burning hot on the UK charts. Their set list included the following songs.

Some Other Guy
Do You Want to Know a Secret
Love Me Do
From Me to You
Please Please Me
I Saw Her Standing There
Twist and Shout



Though there were some small tensions that initially happened during the first tour they were booked on together, Roy Orbison and the Beatles eventually gelled well. John Lennon was so enamored of Roy Orbison that he wrote "Please Please Me" at Menlove Avenue as a tribute to the music of Orbison.



"Please Please Me is my song completely. It was my attempt at writing a Roy Orbison song, would you believe it? I wrote it in the bedroom in my house at Menlove Avenue, which was my auntie's place... I remember the day and the pink coverlet on the bed and I heard Roy Orbison doing Only The Lonely or something. That's where that came from. And also I was always intrigued by the words of 'Please, lend me your little ears to my pleas' - a Bing Crosby song. I was always intrigued by the double use of the word 'please'. So it was a combination of Bing Crosby and Roy Orbison."
John Lennon, 1980
All We Are Saying, David Sheff




George Harrison, awestruck of Orbison, would become a lifelong friend and would later play with Orbison in "The Traveling Wilburys". Ringo Starr, said at one point of Orbison, “Roy Orbison was the only act that The Beatles didn’t want to follow.” Paul McCartney would say of Orbison, "He was and always will be one of the greats of rock 'n' roll."



Also on this same bill was the popular group Gerry and The Pacemakers who were, like The Beatles, managed by Brian Epstein and produced by George Martin. Gerry and the Pacemakers are notable for being the first act to reach number one on the UK singles chart with their first 3 single releases. (source Wikipedia)








Above, the Beatles with Gaumont Theatre manager, David Lowe

Please check out these recent posts:
"Still With You" A Tribute To George Harrison
May 17, 1968 "Wonderwall" Premiere at Cannes
May 1970 "Let It Be"
Book Review -- "Shoulda Been There" by Jude Kessler
Junior Press Conference At The Warwick Hotel 8/22/1966

2 comments:

Marianna Lihanova said...


I'm following you, dear)
your blog is very interesting!!!!!
follow me back, please?)

http://www.makingindustry.com/

Brenda Porter said...

thanks :) I am now following on bloglovin thanks for the invite!

Translate

Click On Photo To See Abbey Road Now!

Click On Photo To See Abbey Road Now!
Real Time Live Streaming!

RINGO STARR AT THE GRAMMYS

Photograph

THE NIGHT THAT CHANGED AMERICA

With A Little Help From My Friends!!!!

The Night That Changed America

Hey Jude

JOHN LENNON LIVE IN NYC

GEORGE HARRISON & FRIENDS NATURAL LAW PARTY 04/06/1992

While My Guitar Gently Weeps (From George's final full concert)

CONCERT FOR GEORGE

PAUL McCARTNEY LIVE!

PAUL McCARTNEY LIVE!
Click on image to see tour dates